September 11, 2008

Where Were You?

I'll never forget where I was when I heard the news.

I was a seventh grader in world geography class. My teacher was Mrs. Altman, and we were studying the Middle East and other countries in the region on Sept. 11, 2001.

The principal didn't want us to find out what happened during school, but that was inevitable. The news broke all over school. Teachers were emotional, some of the older kids were upset, but my classmates and I were mostly confused. We didn't grasp the gravity of the situation at first, but when it was broadcast all over the television and radio, we knew that something was seriously wrong.

Going home that day was the worst part. I can still remember the look on my mom's face as I walked over to get in the car after school.

The next couple weeks were kind of a blur to me now, but I'll still never forget where I was when I heard the news.

Things will never be the same.

1 comment:

SaM-1 said...

I was sitting in my 8th grade Algebra 1 class and every single TV in my middle school was turned to the news. That was the 1st time I'd even heard of the Twin Towers. The rest of the school day was a complete drag! You're right, things will never be the same again.